Thursday, October 28, 2010

The "You were Made for This" Project

It all started not too long before my son Noah was scheduled to have major Scoliosis surgery. I was feeling a myriad of different emotions and wondering how to cope. 


One night after getting Noah to bed, I relaxed with some hot tea while watching American Idol and one of the contestants (Lacey Brown) spoke about her nerves and how her mom always said to her, “You were made for this.” When I heard those words, it felt like someone was speaking to me. They were telling me I was made for this. I was made to be Noah’s Mom, I was made for this life.

I was reminded of this scripture.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful." 


It was a real ah-ha moment for me. God made me for my life. He molded me and sculpted me knowing that I could do this – through the good times and the bad.

“You were made for this” has become my mantra. I say it to myself when times are tough and it is a comfort to me.

One night I was getting creative with my camera and I took a picture of myself in the mirror with a post it note that said “You were made for this.” I love how the picture turned out and as I was editing the photos I started coming up with other ways to photograph that phrase.

Thus a new creative project was born. I’m challenging myself over the next year to take as many different photos of my mantra phrase and eventually I’ll make a collage with them for my studio wall or possibly make a little coffee table book with them – or maybe do both!

So be prepared to see lots of "You were Made for This" photos. And if you have a great idea for a "You were Made for This" photo, I'd love to hear it!


Click here to see more of my "You were Made for This" photo series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment