Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Down Syndrome Awareness Day

Today is World Down Syndrome Awareness Day. You may be wondering why I am posting about Down Syndrome (DS) when Noah has CP and not DS but I think we need to bring awarness to ALL disabilities.

DS has always held a special spot in my heart since seeing a child with DS when I was a child myself is the first time I can remember learning about disabilities. My Mom went to college and got her degree in special education although she never actually taught because she was a stay at home Mom but she did educate us on disabilities at appropriate times.

I can remember being young and seeing someone in the store with DS and asking my Mom about them. She explained that they had DS and that they shouldn't be treated any differently just because they had DS. She  even told me words I might hear people call them and that they were not the proper words to use when describing someone with DS and that I was not to use those words. (See, I really was made for this!)

The video below was made by the International Down Syndrome Coalition. They asked different parents of children with DS if they could go back in time to right before they had their child with DS what would they tell themselves. While the answers are specifically given by parents of children with DS, they apply to me and just about any parent of a special needs kiddos. I love the answers given!


So, the video had me thinking. What would I go back and tell myself? I think I'd say, "It is going to be a bumpy ride, but you can do it. You were made for this, girl!"

No comments:

Post a Comment