So when I read this recipe for Chicken Parmigiana Burgers on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Gina's Skinny Recipes, I thought it sounded like a different and delicious take on burgers but the problem was the tomato sauce. I can't eat it so I had to make some changes and what resulted is one yummy burger!
Ingredients Needed: (This makes 4 burgers)
1 lb lean ground chicken
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Roma tomato (You could use any type of tomato actually but Romas are the only kind I can stomach because they are the least acidic.)
4 Basil Leaves
4 very thin slices of part skim mozzarella
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
1/2 TBSP Light Parmesan Peppercorn Salad Dressing
1. Mix the ground chicken with the garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Form into 4 patties. Put the patties in the freezer for about 5 minutes before cooking; this keeps them from falling a part when you cook them.
2. Cook your burgers for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked throughout. (You can do this either in a pan on the stove or on the grill.)
3. While your burgers are cooking, toast your buns if so desired. (You can do this either on the grill or in the oven on broil.)
4. Once your burgers are cooked on both sides, top each burger with a Basil leaf, 1-2 slices of tomato, and the cheese. Leave on the grill or in the pan for an additional minute or so while the cheese melts.
5. Place each burger on a bun bottom. Brush a little bit of the Light Parmesan Peppercorn dressing on each bun top.
6. Dig in and enjoy!
Happy Memorial Day!
Linking to the parties listed in my sidebar