Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's Decor

I am so excited to finally be able to share the decor that we used for this year's retreat theme: Breakfast at Tiffany's. While we used this for a women's retreat, it could easily be adapted to fit a bridal shower, baby shower, or Birthday party. 

First, I knew we needed to bring a modern twist to the theme so I chose to do that with black and white damask print. That was used in the invitations as well as in the decor a little bit. 

Of course you need Tiffany blue boxes with this theme! I bought those thick cardboard boxes at Hobby Lobby and bought one large one per a table and one small one per an attendee. Originally my idea was to paint the boxes Tiffany blue but the boxes were buckling under the paint so I opted to wrap them instead. I got my Tiffany blue wrapping paper at Party City. 



We started off with a black tablecloth and then used black and white damask fabric as an overlay. We put a giant box wrapped in Tiffany blue paper with a white bow in the middle of the fabric overlay. Then we scattered big and small diamonds around, laid some strung pearls around the overlay, and put a couple of candles, and a couple of frames with quotes in them on the overlay as well. 



The frames that were on each table were just silver frames that you can buy in the wedding section of most craft stores to use as place cards. My amazing assistant, Monika, found different quotes by Audrey Hepburn and I typed those up in a pretty font and put them in the frames. (We had more quotes than this but these are just the ones I got shots of.)

Originally, the candle holders were going to be silver. I bought a thing of plain candle holders in the wedding section and sprayed them silver. But I accidentally left the silver candle holders at home. My BFF was coming down a day later than me so I called her and she saved the day by picking up some more candleholders. She knew she wouldn't have time to spray them silver but also knew they needed dolling up a little so she bought some black and white ribbon and just glued that around each one. I love how they turned out and like them better than the silver ones!

At each attendee's spot we had a little box wrapped in Tiffany blue with a white bow. I actually watched a you tube video to learn how to tie the actual Tiffany bow for these boxes! We struggled with what to put in them but finally Lani or I (I don't remember which of us remembered first!) remembered a little poem that goes with an empty box about the box is filled with love so you should never open it. We googled and found several poems. I combined a few of the poems and came up with one I liked. I then used my Silhouette machine to cut out the little tags and tied them to each box. 

And that pretty much sums up the decor. It was simple but elegant and I was really pleased with the way turned out!


* Check out some of the "little touches" for the event that I created using the Silhouette machine in this post.
** Check out this post all about our group craft. 

Linking up to the craft linky parties listed in my sidebar


12 comments:

  1. Love this!! The colors are fantastic and fit the theme perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked amazing! I love how it turned out! I know sometimes things don't turn out the way they look in your head (I have that happen all the time!). But no matter how it looked in your head, I think it turned out better! Soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looked gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I love the black, white, and blue color scheme :)

    I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-whims-wednesday-5-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness how fun!! It doesn't get much better than Tiffany Blue right? Thanks for sharing. :)

    Come visit me over at thirdfloordesignstudio.blogspot.com and enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so pretty! I love the black and white against the tiffany blue. I bet everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those Audrey Hepburn quotes, especially the first. Cute idea for a theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the decor is perfect and so elegant!!!! I love everything and think the b&w damask is the perfect complement.

    Love your blog, btw!!!

    Popping over from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely idea! I also liked all the little details that you created with your Silhouette. Found you at Serenity Now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute theme! I love the big boxes as centerpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super cute! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower and I'd love if you'd follow back!

    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete