So lately I have been seeing so many cute different chalkboard ideas (using chalkboard paint) all over the crafty blogs. I bought some chalkboard paint thinking I wanted to give it a whirl. Then I started thinking about Christmas and thought a chalkboard ornament would be adorable. You could use it as an ornament and write the person's name or short message on it, use it as a gift tag on a present, or use it as a place card/favor at a holiday dinner or party.
I started playing around and here's what I came up with!
Pretty cute, huh? And not too hard. :)
What you'll need:
Cardboard coasters - I used some thick cardboard coasters I got at Michael's on clearance for 25 cents for a package of 8. You could also used a thick piece of cardboard you cut into a circle or a thin piece of wood.
Decorative scrapbook paper
Adhesive of your choice
Think chipboard or cardboard
What you'll do:
1. Flip your decorative piece of scrapbook paper over and trace your coaster on to it. Cut it out and adhere it to your coaster. Sand any edges that may need sanding.
2. Cut a slightly smaller circle out from your cardboard or chipboard. I used my 2 inch circle punch and I punched that circle out of cardboard from a cereal box I was about to throw away. (Yay, for being green!)
3. Paint your smaller circle with the chalkboard paint according to the directions on the bottle. (I painted the circle using horizontal strokes with the foam brush, let it dry an hour, painted vertical strokes, and then let it dry overnight. When dry, mark on your circle with chalk to "condition" it, then wipe off the chalk and you should be good to go.)
4. Adhere your chalkboard circle to the middle of your larger circle.
5. Embellish with stickers, buttons, or whatever you like!
6. Punch a hole in the middle of the top of the ornament and thread some coordinating ribbon through so you can hang your ornament.
And your done. Hang and admire or give them away!!