Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bookcase Makeover

I'm so excited to finally share my bookcase makeover for my creative studio! Instead of holding books, this bookcase houses a lot of my craft supplies in an organized fashion. 

I've actually had this bookcase for years and it's been all sorts of colors (white, blue, brown) but it was starting to look kind of bad and definitely time for a fresh coat of paint. I'm almost embarrassed to show you the before - it was MESSY! (I promise, it wasn't always THAT messy!) But I think to fully appreciate the new and improved bookcase, you must see the before.

So, once I cleaned off the bookcase, I sanded the bookcase down and then I painted it with two coats of flat black paint. It looked a million times better at that point - but I wanted to do something different - I wanted to add paper to the back of the bookcase. (Like this pretty cabinet!)

I'm using different black and white prints in my creative studio and I found a big roll of black and white damask printed wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby that ended up being three bucks for 50 square feet with my coupon.


I was actually nervous to paper the inside of the bookshelf. I was scared I'd mess up or it wouldn't be straight or something. But, I decided to go for it - if I did one shelf and didn't like it, I knew I could just rip it off, sand the heck out of it, and repaint it.

The wrapping paper had a grid on the back of it. This made it SO much easier! I used spray glue to adhere the wrapping paper to the back of the bookcase. I liberally sprayed where I needed the paper to go then I started at the top of that particular shelf and worked my way down, smoothing it straight as I went. It was so much easier than I thought it would be and I LOVE the outcome and am seriously having to restrain myself from running around and papering all the bookcases in my house.

Ok, enough teasing.... Ready to see the end result?

Ta-da!

Here's some closer looks.....


Everything is sorted and in different baskets an all organize now! Boy, does it feel good to have it all organized! I have the ribbon all sorted by color - I even rolled up all the ribbons and secured them with straight pins. My Momma would be so proud!  All the baskets actually came from the Dollar Tree. I wasn't looking for baskets there but when I saw them I knew they'd be perfect and you can't beat the price. 

I made the labels using my Silhouette machine and adhered them to the baskets with glue dots. 

The large shelf houses my paper storage boxes. (Go here to see how I made them.)
I sorted some of my embellishments into little jars that I already had. 

More miscellaneous crafting supplies sorted into baskets. 
And the very bottom shelf holds my large paper trimmer, crop-o-dile, and other necessities. It's not as pretty as the other shelves so I may try putting those things in the closet. 

Love it! 
Pretty and organized!

Linking up to the linky parties listed in my sidebar 
and 
Visit thecsiproject.com

33 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! You have inspired me with the courage I needed, to one day soon tackle my bookcases! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks AWESOME! I've been wanting to do a bookcase like that, with paper or fabric on the inside. Nice job and everything looks so tidy and organized too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so gorgeous and completely organized too! Thanks for the inspiration to finally tackle some of my unorganized, ugly messes :) Thanks for sharing, also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Even the "messy" shelf. Gives it the personality I know you have. And this bookcase is SO you!! I'm glad you finally got it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this! I am ready to go buy that paper and try it with my book case! Thank you so much for sharing! It looks awesome!
    Ky
    http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to do something with my shelves! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! Love the colors you used.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I'm currently redoing my office area with black & white damask and teal...so this is right up my alley :)

    Maria @ Love & Sugar Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great makeover! I love the paper you used, and those baskets add just the right amount of color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so pretty! I did a white bookshelf with a similar fabric for my backing, and I keep meaning to add some turquoise ribbon around the edge. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea! Love the wrapping paper--so creative!

    By the way, I have a fun giveaway going on now, I would love to have you check it out--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/uprinting-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nicole! I LOVE this great tutorial I need to try this I always see cute wrapping paper and wish I could do something more with it! What a great idea! I'm so glad I found you through Tatertots and Jello! I'm your newest follower, hope you can visit me too: http://onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

    XOXOXO,
    Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fun makeover - The teal and black look fantastic together. Fabulous idea! Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. That loos soooo chic!! I will try this with my bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! I have two book shelves that need to get revamped!
    We would love for you join us for our second link party! *Crafty Lassie Tuesday*
    www.SewStylishBoutique.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luv luv the damask and the teal colour.
    I will be honored if you will share it with our readers in our linking party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/08/11-million-visitors-with-new-london-eye.html
    Thank you,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out awesome! I love, love, love the colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! The damask paper add some awesome pizazz! The blue bins match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my how beautiful!! Would love for you to link this up at my new turquoise linky party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/08/turquoise-lovin-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out amazing! Great job. Please come link up at my Mommy Monday. http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/08/mommy-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never would have thought it was wrapping paper! FABULOUS!
    Found you on Not Just a Housewife!
    http://www.releasemecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love it! Right now my crafting supplies are all being stored (in a huge mess) on a bookshelf so I will definitely be keeping an eye out for some sort of decorative paper and try to do this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow wow WOW!! What an eye popping bit of GORGEOUS-NESS!!

    Deborah (visiting from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So Pretty! I love that color combo together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where did you get the baskets at?

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Anonymous, the baskets came from my local Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so, so very cute! Now I wish I could get all my supplies down to one bookshelf ... I think I'll have to try this with the plywood wall shelves in the kids' playroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello there! I'm visiting from Not JUST A Housewife - Show Me Whatcha Got. Love the bookcase redo. The colors look fabulous together. I enjoyed your blog very much :)
    Thanks!
    Nancy @ The Turner Five

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cute is that! I have that same paper, maybe I need to go find a bookcase now! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job. I love the combination of the black print paper with the blue baskets. I would have been afraid to try papering the inside of a bookshelf to, glad yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete