Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Moment We'll Never Forget

Ten years ago today, on a beautiful September morning I was in the last trimester of my pregnancy and on bed rest. I was listening to the radio as I did every morning. Close to nine, I remember hearing two of the DJs talking about a plane hitting the world trade center. I turned on the TV to see if they had more information. I saw Matt Lauer and Katie Couric talking about the plane crash, mentioning the bombing at the World Trade Center from the 90's but acting like this was a possible accident. As they were on the phone live with a witness, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a plane circle the towers and all of the sudden there was a ball of fire and smoke. At that moment, when the second plane hit, that's when it was blatantly obvious that this was not an accident.

I continued to stare at the Television for the rest of the day as I watched both towers fall live intermittently answering the phone, making a phone call, or going to the bathroom a gazillion times. I felt so far away from the people that were affected but watching the coverage made me feel closer. I couldn't tear myself away. I wanted to do something, but there wasn't much I could do. So I watched and I prayed and I cried and I prayed some more.

Growing up, I had often heard my Parents and Grandparents talk about where they were when JFK was assassinated. It was a moment that they would never ever forget. September 11th, 2001 was the big moment of my generation - it's the moment we will never forget where we were when he heard the news, who we were with, and how we felt. It's now written in history books but we will provide the personal connections to that moment for our children and grandchildren and so on.

We won't forget that moment. My thoughts are with all those affected by the events of September 11, 2001.


Linked to Remembering September 11th at 5 Minutes for Moms

No comments:

Post a Comment