Flip flops are a staple in my summer wardrobe. I love buying a cheap pair of flip flops and them decorating them to match a certain outfit or holiday - like the red and blue ones pictured - perfect to wear for Fourth of July festivities.
I've seen many cutes idea for decorating flip flops using balloons, ribbon, etc but my favorite decorating method for flops is using fabric strips.
These are inexpensive and easy to make. They are great activity for a group of women or teen/tween girls.
Flip flops in your size and color of choice
Fabric in your prints and colors of choice
Pinking sheers (Using pinking sheers creates very minimal fraying. However if you are still worried about fraying you can use a little fray check.)
(I don't have pictures of me doing each step but it's pretty simple. If you have any questions though, just ask!)
1. Cut the fabric into strips using the pinking sheers. How thick or long you wish for the strips to be is up to you. I cut mine about one inch wide and 5-6 inches in length to start with. It's ok if you can't get them perfectly straight - no one will notice once they are on your feet! I'd start with about 30 strips for each flip flop then add less or more depending on the amount of "fluffiness" you want!
2. Before you begin tying the strips on your flip flops, determine whether or not you want a pattern like in the flip flops pictured above I alternated between red and blue strips.
3. Begin tying on your strips. I double knot them to ensure that they are on tightly and less likely to slip off. Again, add as many or as few as you like. The more you add the more full and fluffy the end result will be.
4. Keep tying them on in your desired pattern not worrying about how long the strips are right now.
5. When you have done both flip flops, begin trimming. I like to keep mine pretty short but how short or long you want them is totally up to you.
A Few Tips:
1. If doing this with a group of children or adults, it may be easier to go ahead and pre-cut a bunch of strips as that part seems to take the longest.
2. When trimming the strips, do it over a trashcan to cut down on the mess and clean up.
And that’s it – cute, fun, and festive flip flops!
(Linking to the parties listed in my sidebar)