Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Freezer Paper Stenciling

Ever since I first read about freezer paper stenciling on various craft blogs, I've wanted to give it a try. It looks fun and there are so many things you can do with it. 







So I decided to buy some freezer paper and give it a try. Honestly, it's not really hard at all. I used my Silhouette to cut out the images I wanted to stencil (I've done all letters thus far) and then iron the freezer paper shiny side down to whatever you want to stencil on. It sticks well and then you are able to easily stencil just like you would with any other type of stencil. 

You can use fabric paint but since I have a lot of acrylic paint in various colors, I thought it would be more economical to just buy a textile medium that you mix with acrylic paint. As long as you use the medium, you should still be able to wash the shirt with no problems. The one thing I learned was to be careful how much medium you add to the paint. You don't want to add to much because that will make the paint to thin and will it bleed through the stencil, which I learned the hard way, as that happened the first time I gave this a try. Also, use tweezers for the tiny, little bitty pieces that go inside the middle of some of the letters like "a" and "O." 

My second effort was this bag. 


Not too shabby. The tree is cut from fabric using the Silhouette and ironed on. 

My third and fourth efforts were these two shirts for a friend who is having a 2nd baby girl next month. 




Love them. I see much more freezer paper stenciling in my future. The bloggers were right - it's addictive! 



Looking for info on freezer paper stenciling? Check out this video tutorial at I am Momma Hear me Roar and this post at Less Cake More Frosting or this guest tutorial at Fave Crafts.


Linking up to the link parties listed in my sidebar
and
Serenity Now Crafty Cutter Party

2 comments:

  1. hiya , great ideas and tutorial , tfs , i am visiting from someday crafts and am your newest follower maybe you will pop by mine and follow too
    www.emilysnan.blogspot.com
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on a roll with your Silhouette! I haven't tried freezer paper yet...on my list. :) If you could add a link back to me or my party button somewhere, I would really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete