When I was thinking about my Patriotic Mantel I knew that I wanted a flag in some form. I decided I wanted to put a modern spin on the flag so I decided to make a Chevron striped flag.
This was easy and inexpensive to make! In order to make your own, you will need:
Canvas, Plaque, or Board of some kind (I used an 8x10 tacky plaque from the Dollar Tree.)
Red, Blue, and White Cardstock
Star shaped punch
What You'll Do:
1. If you are using a plaque that already has a picture or something on it, like I did, you'll need to sand it before painting it. This will help the paint adhere better. After sanding it, be sure and take a rag and wipe it down to get rid of any debris.
2. Paint your plaque white. I used 3 coats.
3. Cut your red chevron stripes out of red cardstock. I used my Silhouette machine to do this but if you don't have one, you could find a chevron pattern online and use that instead.
4. Brush some Mod Podge onto your painted plaque and glue down your red chevron stripes leaving an equal amount of space in between each stripe. Brush a layer of Mod Podge over all the stripes once you have them all down.
5. Cut a blue square out of the blue cardstock and use Mod Podge to adhere it to your board over the stripes.
6. Cut out some stars with your star punch and adhere those to the blue square with Mod Podge.
7. Lastly, brush a layer of Mod Podge over the entire thing. And you are finished!
Proudly display your modern twist on the grand old flag!
(Linking up to the parties listed on my sidebar)