We tried another new recipe last week. I can't remember where I found the orginial recipe but I made a lot of changes to it to make it healthier and without tomatoe sauce as the orginial recipe called for. It was yummy!
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
4 bell peppers
1 onion (chopped finely)
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 can low sodium, fat free chicken broth
handful of frozen corn
1-2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
1 cup brown rice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup of low fat cheddar cheese
How to Make it:
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook until brown.
2. Once brown, add the can of chicken broth and brown rice. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the rice is cooked, which took me about 7 minutes.
3. While the rice is cooking, cut the tops off the bell peppers and discard the tops. Cut the ribs out and wash the seeds out. Set in a baking dish.
4. When the rice is almost done, add the corn and diced tomatoes. Cook for a minute or two longer.
5. Add the filling to each bell pepper. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Add a little cheese to the top off each bell pepper and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
If you have any left over filling, save it, and enjoy it the next day on a whole wheat tortilla.