Monday, August 10, 2009

Creating a Post It Note Holder

Using an acrylic picture frame, which you can find at most Dollar Stores and other stores like WalMart, you can make a cute spot to hold your post it notes for your desk. These are easy to make, inexpensive to make, and can be made to match any décor. They are great for teacher's gifts as well as a nice little gift for co-workers and friends!
I've been re-doing my "office area" (it's really just a corner of my room but I am trying to make it an organized and peaceful place to work in!) and I made the "hope" post it note holder pictured above to match my new desk decor. (More pics of the "office area" re-do coming soon!) 


Materials Needed: Acrylic Picture Frame (I used a 5 x7 frame purchased for 1.00$. You will need the type of acrylic frame that has a stand on it.)   Scrapbooking Paper Ribbon Embellishments (stickers, flowers, buttons, rub ons, etc.)  Scissors Glue (I used tacky craft glue.) Post it notes
Instructions: Step 1: Trim the scrapbooking paper so that it fits inside the frame. Once it’s trimmed, place it inside the frame. 
Step 2: Embellish the frame as you wish using ribbon, stickers, flowers, buttons - really, whatever you like! You'll be putting any embellishments on top of the frame. (In some of the ones I made last year pictured below, I printed out images off the computer and used those.) I always put ribbon at the top.  Just remember to leave enough room for your block of post it notes.
In the hope frame, I added a coordinating flower and a metal sticker that says “hope.” 
Step 3: Finally, you’ll add your post it notes. When I made some of these to sell at craft shows last year or to give as gifts, I actually glued the post it notes on since they were being transported and shuffled around but when they are just sitting on your desk, you really don't have to glue them on but of course, if you want to glue 'em on, go for it! 
Finished! How easy was that? 


These are so simple that I made a bunch last year, here’s a few of those to get your mind going as to all the different kinds you could make! 
This one says "Love Bears All Things." (Clip art off my computer)
For the teachers..... 
Breast cancer awareness
This one says, "Dance like no one is watching." 
One of my favorite quotes - "What you are is God's gift to you, what you become is your Gift to God." 


Aren't they cute?!? If you make one, I'd love to see a photo!! 


5 comments:

  1. I have one and they are great :-)


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cute. I can't wait to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This is such an awesome idea! (In case you can't tell, I just found your blog via Craft-O-Maniac's blog and I am your newest fan!) I am gonna save this post to my favorites because we are always celebrating someone's birthday at work and this would make an awesome little gift. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea but I do have a question. Does this lay flat on the the desk or does it stand up? The instructions said to use a frame that has a stand, I was wondering how the frame is positoned. I could not tell from looking at the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sits on the stand. Does that make any sense? Instead of standing it upright, you sit it so that it is resting on the stand. I can try and take a picture that shows better if you'd like! Just email me at coleybelle(at)gmail(dot)com and I'd be happy to!

    ReplyDelete