Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day and the Woman who Taught me to be a Momma

First of all, Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mother’s out there! Today, I was fortunate enough to spend the day with my own Mother who is also the woman who taught me to be a mother. While growing up, I thought my Mom was really cool. She was a stay at home Mom and she always did cool things like volunteer to be room Mom or Team Mom. At some point when I was a child, (maybe when I was about 4?) she took a cake decorating class and became the envy of neighborhood Moms I’m sure, when she would make my brother and I these amazing birthday cakes. I’m talking really fantastic character cakes – Strawberry Shortcake, Punky Brewster, Bozo the Clown, Rainbow Bright, etc… She was a good, dedicated Mother. When I was a teenager, I thought my Mom was uncool. Sorry, Mom, it was a phase! Every teenage girl thinks she knows more than her Mom! I was a pain. I was a brat. Heck, I can still be a brat on bad days I’m sure. Now, that I am in my (early!) 30’s, I respect my Mother so much. I realize that being a Mother isn’t easy. It’s the hardest job I have ever had to do. It’s tiring, time consuming, stressful, but also so rewarding at the same time. I get it now. I get why Mom did the things she did. I even get why she did the things she did when I was a teenager! I’m not the best Mom by any means, but I try. I really try hard. I turn to Mom often for questions, concerns, or just to vent. She taught me how to be a Mother. While it wasn’t always verbal teaching and some of it was learned by her example, I am the Mom I am today because of her. I love you, Mom! Photo: Me, My Mom, and Noah on Mother’s Day 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment